Monday, September 22, 2008

Height Discrimination in the Workplace

An example of the e-mails that NOSSA receives regarding height discrimination in the workplace:

I just wanted to write and say I agree with you totally. I am 28 and am only 5 foot tall. I too am mistaken for a child most of the time. I recently had a job as a poker dealer. When a new manager took over the poker room i was fired and given no real reason. When I asked for one, he said he had to cut down hours for labor costs. The next day however he hired two more people. That night at a bar three of my freinds were having a drink when the new boss came in and was talking about me. My freinds say that he said the following " anyone shorter than me should not be dealing poker". Height had nothing to do with that job. I had been dealing poker for nearly 5 years. I was good at it. I was never late, never missed a day of work, or called in sick. I always came in early when I was called to do so. Like you, i was wondering about my rights. I was disturbed when I found out height was not in the very list : "The civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits discrimination because of one's race, creed, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual preference, age or handicap." So the question is, What do I do now? It seems to me there is nothing I can do but tuck my tail, pack my things, and move to a new city to find a job. Why are there no rights for us? What, if anything, can we do about it?
 

© 2005-2013 - National Organization Of Short Statured Adults, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Legal Notice